Sunday 24 June 2012

Meeting Somewhere In The Middle.

After starting with a lot more drawing in my last painting, with mixed results, I decided to meet somewhere in the middle; more drawing than usual, and less initial blocking in. The problem that I'm having with simply blocking in is down to subject matter; I need stronger references for the perspective. Blocking in allows me to feel my way into a painting by layering colours and tones, and enables me to keep it loose It doesn't always allow me to get the suggestion of perspective right. it's a bit like proportions - when they are wrong, they are glaringly wrong. I'm not sure that I have got the balance right yet - I need to paint (& draw) a lot more to really find the best approach for me.
It's all fun.
This painting is of the late afternoon light bouncing around and picking out certain features and surfaces in Coppergate, York.
approximately 60x60 oil on  box canvas.








Coppergate


No comments:

Post a Comment