Saturday 25 August 2012

Holiday

Straight off to France after we broke up.
I haven't painted anything like as much as I would like to have, or should have done, for months now so I'm a bit rusty. There are various reasons for this, but the best thing to do is get right back onto the horse.
I took the paints with us to France and did one painting, at Bormes-les-Mimosas; a beautiful hillside village just outside Le Lavandou. It was late afternoon and very hot, which presented a few problems; the paint dried very quickly on the board.
Anyway, here it is in stages, with a few photos of the village..
 Bormes-les-Mimosas
..ditto
 Setting up.
 The view.
...starting to build up the buildings. This is a difficult view, with lots of different angles.  
Trying to get the contrasts of light and dark, and to capture the light. Not easy given that the light was changing rapidly.
 ....... 
Getting there.

It was at about this point when I get talking to an old Frenchman. He didn't speak English, and I don't speak French, but he managed to explain that the chapel on the hill is a shrine to British (& other) soldiers. They were bombarded from that point by the Germans in WW2, as they landed on the beach. I assume they were coming over from Africa.
Finished.



No comments:

Post a Comment