Saturday 2 March 2013

Paris

Having returned from a great trip to Paris, with a fantastic bunch of students and colleagues, we broke up for half-term and I found time to do some painting. 
I love Paris. It just seems so much more spacious than London, it's better to look at, and it feels more lived in. The buildings are great, and because it seems more spacious, the light seems to bounce around more.
We dropped lucky with the weather, with hardly any rain, and the weekend wasn't dominated with that blanket of cloud that we often get in the winter, especially around York.
This picture is from one of the photos that I took whilst there. I haven't got a clue which street it is; it was taken from the coach window on our way back to the hotel at the end of the day, and actually, this was on one of the days when the weather wasn't great.
Initial blocking in..

A little more drawing..

A few more details, including some cars.


..starting to establish the tones..

...

...

I decided that I didn't like it at this stage..

...so scraped some of the paint off, and scrubbed into it with a dirty brush. I enjoyed this, and liked what it did to the painting, so I started working back into it. 

This is the finished painting:
'Paris: February Afternoon'

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Richard- It glows! fondly remember our trip to Paris- lovely hotel! fantastic company- you,Ails, Steve.....
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah. I have fond memories of that trip also.

    ReplyDelete