Friday 1 November 2013

Back Into The Woods.

This is the second painting of a possible series that I intend to do of woodland. This is Long Wood again at Little Ouseburn on the former Thorpe Green estate. I like these tall trees, and I like the ephemeral, speckled light as the sun sinks low, but.... what I really want to do is suggest something a little more fae. It's not that I want to paint a fantasy picture, but there is something about woodland, where you're never quite sure.. I probably need to look at more deciduous woods, so I'm thinking about heading back to Greno Woods in Sheffield, which will mean I can pop-in and see my parents. I'll probably use the opportunity to stock-up on wood for the log burner as well. 
I suspect that it will be more difficult to paint deciduous trees to get the kind of atmosphere that I want without being twee, but I think that that is where I may go next.
I also want to paint something that is about seasons changing, hopefully without being too obvious.
And I want to paint a panorama, on a large canvas, with a few buildings in - perhaps Sheffield from a distance. 
That's the problem, I keep wanting to paint different things.
Anyway, here the latest piece, in stages, as I painted it over the last few days:

 Everything blocked in with a neutral colour - a mix of burnt sienna and pthalo blue.
 Lifting out the lighter areas..kind of drawing in reverse.
 Drawing in a few details.
 Starting to build in a little more colour.
 ...adding lighter areas and more colour...

 ..more colour, more detail...
 It's starting to come together now.
It's almost there. I could call it finished at this stage, but I want to let it dry off so that I can lighten the sky a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment