Saturday 9 November 2013

Self Pruning Growth Mindset.

I started this painting last week, during half term. Given that our school has been inspected this week, that seems like a long time ago. I'm looking forward to reading what the inspectors made of us, but until then I'll have to make do with not bringing any work home this weekend, reading books, running, entertaining tomorrow, and of course, painting. It's a hard life.
This is obviously another woodland scene, and I believe that they are scots pine. Self pruning. Apparently that's what some trees do when there is competition for space - drop branches and put all their energy into growing tall. Information courtesy of Matt Simms, who also taught me how to work out how much of a tree is useable as timber by measuring with a stick, in a similar way to measuring proportions with a pencil (Cheers Matt. It was great to see you Gill and the kids last week.). I'm not sure how many more I will paint of these at the moment. I've probably got one or two left in the tank. Sara has suggested that it would be good to do a whole series of them to fill a room...David Hockney style. It would be nice to be able to paint like him. If only!!
I struggled with this one for a while, but stuck with it. I took a little of my own advice to the pupils - try to imagine what it will look like when it is all painted - a little growth mindset if you will.









No comments:

Post a Comment