Friday 22 August 2014

Taking On A Life Of It's Own

River Ure Backwater
This painting was going to be different to how it turned out. I had intended painting in a much looser style, allowing the paint to run and dribble. The edges were going to be much darker and indistinct, but somehow it didn't end up like that at all. I  think I got a bit carried away drawing it out with a rag wrapped around my finger, and painting the water in the foreground. Perhaps I started painting that area too early.
The image is a little backwater created when the river level is low just below Hewick Bridge, just outside Ripon.
 Blocking in.
 Lifting out some of the under painting. Probably overdid this stage.
 Starting to work in more colour. 
Putting in the lighter shades. 
 Starting to get there.
 Detail.
 Detail.
 Done, but I didn't see it looking like this at all.
River Ure Backwater.

No comments:

Post a Comment