Saturday 8 November 2014

Street People.

 I've been intending to paint people for quite a while now. My interest lies in painting strangers that I see around in the streets. These are about the people, not the streets. I don't know them, and therefore don't bring any previous knowledge of them to bear. I can impose any kind of atmosphere or suggestion that I like, but am not restricted by the 'need' for a likeness. That said, this does look very much like the guy who I surreptitiously photographed. I like the idea that the people I paint are unaware that they are being looked at, and so I'm looking for those unconsciousness expressions and poses as people go about their business. I suppose that we are all people watchers, one way or another.
I still want to push the paint around and enjoy the act of painting more, as I said in my last post, but felt that this painting needed a little more accuracy than the last piece.

Early stages. A ground and initial drawing.

 Detail.
 Pushing the paint around.

 Time to start looking at the figure.

 Modelling the face. The composition needs something else..
 Detail.
 Loosely suggesting a street scene. Detail.

 Details.
Finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment