Thursday 11 August 2016

Going out Sketching...

 ...and then working them into paintings.
I decided that whilst the weather holds, I would take my sketchbook out into a field a few hundred metres from our house to do some drawing. I've been looking at Joan Eardley's work online, so I fancied having a go at some overgrown hedgerows and fields. My thinking was that these might lend themselves to the sort of very bold and painterly mark making, in the way that she worked. The short walk was quite productive, I completed several sketches, which has led to two paintings so far.




 I left it for a day at this stage, then decided that it need more of a focal point(s)...so I added a figure in the middle ground, cow parsley in the foreground, brightened the sky a little, and added highlights to the vegetation.
Millfield
encaustic on board

No comments:

Post a Comment