Monday 16 November 2015

First Encounter With Encaustic

Hot Wax.
I've been interested in this technique for some time. I'd see paintings on the web with the most beautiful luminosity and transparency, and wondered how they were done, so I did a bit of research into encaustic, and got some equipment for my birthday.
From the name I thought the technique would involve some unpleasant chemicals, but far from it. The name comes from the Greek, meaning To burn in, and the only chemical involved is actually beeswax. It needs different kit to my oil painting; hotplates and heat guns, and is is completely different to use. I'm learning it from scratch, which is quite exciting.
This is my first attempt at encaustic. It is a rook drawn in biro, mounted on board, and them worked into with the hot wax. Fun to do, but not even scratching the surface of what I think the encaustic can do..



Rook.
Encaustic.

No comments:

Post a Comment