Friday 26 August 2011

Cabin fever.

What a lousy day. It has rained solidly all day, giving me a nasty case of cabin fever. I decided to use the time to paint on an old canvas. The canvas was one that I found from my 6th form days as I was clearing out the garage earlier in the holiday. It was prossibly the first canvas that I ever painted on, and was a crap landscape in oils... not any more. It is now a river scene from a photo taken earlier this year when we visited Matt and Gilly in Devon. On this particular day Matt took me and all the kids to Topsham. It was a murky day, and the tide was out, but it has now spawned two paintings.
This is it in stages, see what you think..

 Rough sketching out/blocking in.
 Starting to add some tones to the water.
 Still fairly rough.
Done.
The funny thing is I currently feel no desire to paint inside. I would much rather go and paint en plein air. That wasn't possible today, but at least this was done in one session, so it has a similar alla prima approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment