Monday 29 August 2011

More Cabin Fever.

Yesterday was another typically lovely british summer day, so we were stuck in the house. We had thought to go to Treasuer's House in York (never done that) and to see the Etty exhibition at the Art Gallery, but high winds and rain persuaded us that it would be better if we put it off to today. So that is probably what we are going to do.
Yesterday wasn't a complete wash-out though. I did manage to do a couple of paintings. One was a reworking on top of an old abstract, and the other one was a painting of the Shambles in York. I have been meaning to paint the shambles for a couple of years, and yesterday it  seemed like I had run out of excuses not to do it. I used a postcard as a reference, which is a first for me. Having looked at it again this morning, it needs more work, so I will add to it later today if I get the chance.
 Abstract. Figures in a west yorkshire landscape?
 Very early stages; blocking in. Should I draw more?
 Trying to get the lighting. Don't like the figures at this stage.
 Starting to come together a bit.
 This is how I left it last night. I need to work into the left edge, suggesting some reflected light, tone down the pitched roof in the background, and warm up the timber on the right hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment